It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life and forget how to show someone how much you love them, but it’s frequently the little things that make people feel the most loved.
Now, if you’re stuck for ideas on how to surprise that important someone in your life, go no further than these twenty-five tried-and-true ideas to show your love.
How to Express Your Love for Someone
Based on Dr. Gary Chapman’s five love languages theory, here are a few various ways you might express that particular someone how much they mean to you.
These love languages are the natural manner in which people express and receive love.
Identifying which of these love languages you and your partner speak will help you explain your emotions more clearly.
Acts of Service to Others
Do something nice for the one you care about to show them how much they mean to you.
- Fill up your partner’s gas tank so they don’t have to get up early the next day to do it.
- Get up early to make their favorite meal; or, if you’re not a great cook, order breakfast from their favorite restaurant.
- Deliver lunch to their workplace or, if they work from home to their preferred work-spot.
- Take care of their least favorite household chores, such as dishwashing, laundry, leaf raking, and so on.
- Prepare their favorite childhood food for them and serve it to them as a surprise dinner.
- Wash the car outside and deep-clean inside for them.
- Make a playlist of songs that remind you of your partner and play it for them the next time you’re in the car.
Offer Kind Remarks
Someone whose love language is words of affirmation may find it significant to share loving words in writing or in another form.
- Write them a love letter and mail it to them as a delightful surprise among the normal stack of advertisements and invoices.
- Leave a sweet message in their voicemail box for them to find when they wake up.
- After you take a shower, write a love note in the steam on the bathroom mirror so your partner will see it the next time they take one.
- Short love poems should be written on all of the napkins on your kitchen table so that your partner is reminded of your love at every meal.
Language of Gifts
These are some suggestions for folks who enjoy giving and receiving gifts.
- Find a local florist and have a custom-made bouquet of flowers sent to your work partner.
- Order anything from their Amazon wishlist or something from one of their online shopping carts that have been lying there for a while.
- Make a donation in their honor to their chosen charity or cause.
- If they enjoy reading, go to your local bookstore and find a book that reminds you of them to give to them that evening.
- Draw or paint a picture of your favorite adventure that you’ve shared with your companion.
- Make a collage of things that reflect important times in your relationship and display it for all of your guests to view.
- Purchase a blank frame and decorate it to symbolize times in your relationship, then insert your favorite photo of the two of you inside and give it to them on a random afternoon.
Taking your time to do something special with your partner is a great way to show your love.
- Queue up their favorite movie for an impromptu date night.
- Accompany them to their next appointment such as to get their oil changed or their hair cut.
- At the first sign of warm weather, take them for a surprise picnic.
- Schedule a session with a local photographer to take pictures of the two of you.
- After a long day of work, play their favorite song and ask them for a dance.
Offer Loving Touch
Physical touch is a caring way to express your love.
- Give them a foot massage or a shoulder massage after a tiring day of taking care of business.
- Reach out and take their hand, especially if you’ve found yourselves sitting at least a whole cushion away from each other on the sofa.
Sometimes the Smallest Things Mean the Most
While it seems like the culture of love is obsessed with this idea of grandiose gestures, oftentimes people find that it’s the smallest things that mean the most to them. So, when you’re thinking about how to show someone that you love them, be sure to remember these twenty-five pretty simple, heartfelt suggestions of ways to express your love.